Monday 28 January 2013

Magazine Cover Construction Task

The task was to construct a music magazine cover in one lesson. Here are the stages of creating my magazine and the final product.

I chose this image as it is an interesting shot of the artist Lana Del Rey. I minimized the image so that the model did not fill the entire cover, leaving little/no room for text. Then, I filled in the remaining background using the same colour of the original background of the picture, via use of the eye dropper tool.

'DEADLINE' appealed to me as a name for this magazine as it coincides with the main image, for example, the blood dripping from Lana Del Rey's mouth and the dead rose. The font is bold and unmissable to the reader and the colour white stands out above the dark colours used mainly for the main image, except for the pale colour of the model's face.


I wanted to keep the cover looking simplistic and modern. Therefore, I used the same font 'Zanzibar SF' for the masthead as well as the subheading and strapline, creating consistency throughout the cover. I also continued using the colour white to ensure this simplistic idea was to be effective.

For a realistic effect, I then added a barcode to the bottom right corner of the page. However, consequently, I moved the subheading and strapline slightly up, as the barcode looked too close to these seperate elements, creating a busy and messy appearance.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very impressive piece of work.Keep in mind the lessons you have learned here for your next cover.

    ReplyDelete