Thursday 21 February 2013

Class and Teacher Feedback

Class
My second draft has recieved comments containing feedback from my peers in my class, stating what they like about my draft and what could be improved.
Firstly, the fonts I have chosen were praised by my peers and the contrast between the bold font for the masthead and the italic font for the sub-headings were highlighted in particular, as it was said that the two fonts compliment each other really well on the front cover.
The photograph's that I used for my draft were also praised as looking "high quality", "striking" and "professional" which is what is expected from a magazine that the reader is paying £4.20 for.
The colour scheme was also highlighted, as it makes the magazine look modern and adds to the simplistic style, therefore I feel more confident with my colour scheme and I will most definitely keep it as that throughout my future versions of my draft.
Improvements that have been suggested by peers in my class are that I could use a whiter background for the images of the model, and perhaps remove the shadow created by the models left arm by using photoshop, to make the shadow appear deliberate - which I did create on purpose.

Mr Nicolle
One of my teachers also stated his opinions on my draft and gave feedback also including what he liked and what he felt could be improved.
The front cover main image was praised as he felt that it was striking and powerful, which built the character of the artist really well. However, he said that I should attempt to cut out the shadow that is created by the lighting from the model's left arm. This looks accidental, unlike the shadow created by her face and on her right side.
On the contents page, he suggested changing the image at the bottom of the page because he felt that he didn't know what the image was saying about the artist's personality. As well as this, he mentioned adding an effect such as a 'mirror effect' to reflect the layout of the contents page as a whole. He praised the layout of the text on the contents page as it works well and is different to most magazines, which gives it a modern style.
Finally, on the double page spread, my teacher was concerned about the size of the paragraph's - especially the opening paragraph. In comparison to the following ones, the opening paragraph looks significantly long and does not look right on the page, therefore I should slightly chnage the layout of the text. However, he praised the image and the font used for the heading as it worked well together and created a persona for the artist. The shadow on the image creates a three-dimensional appearance of the magazine.

Mr Ford
After recieving feedback, my second draft is an improvement and a step in the right direction towards a final product.
Feedback on the front cover was: The masthead is slightly too big on the page, as well as the barcode being the wrong size. The font could also be changed as it doesn't look 100% right. The genre of hip-hop also is not clearly shown on the cover.
Contents page: A page number is needed, the text is also too big and the layout needs some more attention. To improve on the layout I could move the page numbers into the middle so that they are justified.
Double page spread: The margin on each side of the text and the top and bottom of the page needs to be bigger. The article also looks brief so needs to be of a greater length. As well as this, the font works less well over the main image than it does on the cover, so I should reconsider the font that I am using. I also need to credit the writer and photogrpaher on the double page spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment