Sunday 3 February 2013

Draft Article


Libby Zarong. The name that’s been circulating the office here at Major Magazine for weeks, and the name that would be unfair not to share with you. Libby Zarong, the 20-year-old Londoner has proven to be one of music’s most intriguing new shape-shifters since she started posting songs and videos online a few years ago. Fast-forward to today, and her feisty single “Did You Know?” has amassed more than one million-plus YouTube views. What’s fresh about Zarong is how she combines ludicrous charisma with lyrical naughtiness, and groundbreaking bass lines whilst spitting unforgettable rhymes in the process. “I’m aware of the negative audiences I’ll reach through my music. Hip-hop reflects the truth that society tries to conceal, and that is what I intend to voice,” says Libby, who studied fashion before she took to the music industry. Her honesty and attitude fully emerges once she steps in front of a camera, and this was proven today at the photo shoot for Major. Zarong oozes with confidence, not phased by the racial comments being made and the stereotypical view constantly being preached to her that white women should not rap, “I don’t want to talk about this anymore, why can't a British girl rap?” Libby groans, “I’m judged twenty-four hours a day for the colour of my skin alongside my passion. I guess it’s just another element that sets me apart from competition.” Understandably, Zarong doesn’t want anything to affect her speedy, flawless victory that she's accomplished so far. She’s already collaborated with Pharrell Williams – American rapper, singer, record producer, composer and fashion designer – and signed a major record deal with Def Jam Recordings, which is yet to confirm the date of her debut album later in the year. Not to mention that she’s already got her hands on a Brit Award for the Critic’s Choice of 2013. It’s been quite a journey for Libby Zarong, whose current fame-filled and chaotic lifestyle contrasts to her tough beginnings in life: Her mother died when she was 12, and so she was raised in London by her father. “I get noticed, even when I’m underwear shopping... It’s weird,” Libby says. “It’s all came at once. For me, a 20-year-old girl from Camden, it’s like... You know... How does this happen?"

1 comment:

  1. A good start.The article is very short though. It's going to need to be considerably longer than this.

    ReplyDelete